Lead Instructor: Bill Van Deman
firstname.lastname@example.org (Bill Van Deman)
- PFI Manual
- PFI T-Shirt
- All class, pool and open water instruction
- Certification Card
Below are items that you need for the course with some freediving specific suggestions.
- Mask, fins and snorkel – Preferably low volume mask, J snorkel and long blade fins.
- Wetsuit – 3mm wetsuit is required for pool and open water sessions. A good freediving suit with attached hood is strongly recommended.
- Weights and weight belt – Best choice is a rubber weight belt with an assortment of smaller weights to adjust for proper buoyancy.
- Depth and/or timing device – A waterproof watch at the very least, better yet a freediving computer is perfect.
Scuba Monkey Dive Center, where we hold classroom sessions, carries a full line of freediving gear for your course requirements.
Location Info (Addresses)
Gainesville-Alachua (Gainesville/Alachua, Florida, US)
Classroom Sessions: Scuba Monkey Dive Center, 13585 NW 101st Dr Ste 700, Alachua, FL 32615
Pool Sessions: 300 Club, 3715 NW 12th Ave, Gainesville, FL 32605
Open water Sessions: Troy Springs State Park, 674 NE Troy Springs Road, Branford, FL 32008 (Entry fee $5)
The following schedule is subject to change. The course starts right on time each day. Please arrive ready to start class Day 1. Full course payment is due at this time.
6pm – 10:00pm: Classroom
8:00am – 11:00am: Classroom
12:00am – 4:00pm: Pool session
9am-11am: Open Water session
12pm-2pm Open Water session
Schedule is subject to change due to weather and storms/flooding. Please contact instructor one week prior to course for latest forecast of conditions and any changes in schedule.
*Note: We require a minimum of 3 students to run this basic course.
Local Area Travel Recommendations
Accomodations are available in nearby Gainesville (10 miles) and Alachua (3 miles) near classroom and within 45 minutes of open water location.