Lead Instructor: Bill Van Deman
Bill Van Deman
PFI Freediver Instructor
- PFI Manual
- PFI T-Shirt
- All class, pool and open water instruction
- Certification Card
- Spring Entry Fees are not included
Below are items that you need for the course with some freediving specific suggestions.
- Mask, fins and snorkel – Preferably low volume mask, J snorkel and long blade fins.
- Wetsuit – 3mm wetsuit is required for pool and open water sessions year round. A minimum 3mm or thicker freediving suit with attached hood is needed for open water from November through March!
- Weights and weight belt – Best choice is a rubber weight belt with an assortment of smaller weights to adjust for proper buoyancy.
- Depth and/or timing device (optional) – A waterproof watch at the very least, better yet a freediving computer is perfect.
Scuba Monkey Dive Center, where we hold classroom and pool sessions, carries a full line of freediving gear specifically recommended for your course requirements.
Location Info (Addresses)
Gainesville (Florida, US)
Classroom and Pool Sessions: Scuba Monkey Dive Center, 13585 NW 101st Dr Ste 700, Alachua, FL 32615
Open water Sessions: Troy Springs State Park, 674 NE Troy Springs Road, Branford, FL 32008 (Entry fee $5)
The following schedule is subject to change. The course starts right on time each day. Please arrive ready to start class Day 1. Full course payment is due at this time.
8:00am – 8:30am: Registration and introductions
Noon -1pm: Lunch (feel free to bring a light lunch/snacks to class)
1pm – 5:00pm: Pool sessions
6pm: Class Dinner/Social (optional)
10am- 11am: Travel to springs
11am to 1pm: Open water (Free immersion)
2:30pm-4pm: Open water (constant ballast)
Schedule and spring location is always subject to change due to changes in weather (particularly rain or flooding). Please contact instructor the week prior to course for latest forecast of conditions and any changes in schedule.
*Note: We require a minimum of 3 students to run this basic course.
Local Area Travel Recommendations
Accomodations are available in nearby Gainesville (10 miles) and Alachua (3 miles) near classroom and within 45 minutes of open water location.